12 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Yard
From the Simple Steps to the Elaborate Upgrades
Your backyard is like a blank canvas. It provides you with the perfect opportunity to express yourself and make it your own. But like most things in life, your yard is what you make of it. If you’ve been thinking about making changes to your yard but don’t know where to start, here are 12 ways to enhance your outdoor space. These ideas range from simple weekend projects you can do on your own to the more in-depth projects that leverage the resources and expertise of an NJ landscape design company.
- Plant a vegetable garden. There’s just something about growing your own vegetables. Tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, zucchini and green beans are some of the many vegetables that thrive in NJ summer gardens. Besides providing delicious food, your garden will naturally add color and contrast to your lawn.
- Add edging and mulch to garden beds. Edging is exactly what it sounds like: creating clean, crisp edges between garden beds and the lawn. From brick to natural stone, there are many ways to create that nice, clear divide to make flower beds pop. If it’s been a year or two since you added mulch, this can make a huge difference, too. Compared to some other landscaping projects, this is an easy way to make your yard go from bland to grand.
- Introduce a new lighting design. Outdoor lighting is an art form in itself. From bistro-style to solar to floodlights, there are so many ways to make your landscape shine.
- Bring the cooking outdoors. You’re busy working at the stove while your guests are enjoying the sunshine. With an outdoor kitchen, you can cook to your heart’s content without missing a moment of fun.
- Add a pergola. This feature not only looks beautiful, but is a terrific way to extend your outdoor living space and add value to your home.
- Create a stone path. Stone pathways are so popular that they made our list of five outdoor trends to know about this summer. This is a simple but fantastic way to add dimension and charm to your yard.
- Add a swing or hammock. Why read in a chair when you can lay down in the hammock? You can easily add a swing or hammock on your own. Now, watch how fast it becomes everyone’s favorite spot to relax!
- Set the scene with a fire pit. A fire pit is so much more than a focal point for your yard. It’s a place to share, cook yummy food and spend more time outdoors.
- Create your very own outdoor hangout. Outdoor sectionals and chairs are game-changers. They allow everyone to enjoy the warm weather without sacrificing an ounce of comfort.
- Introduce a water feature. Outdoor fountains and ponds are soothing, from the intricate designs to the peaceful sounds of flowing water.
- Enclose your yard. Privacy plays a huge role in any outdoor retreat. Fences are beautiful, but they’re not the only way to get the job done. Natural privacy screens are becoming more popular for homeowners who want to add privacy in an earthier, more organic way.
- Add a birdbath and birdhouses. If your yard is feeling too lifeless for your liking, call upon some feathered friends! Studies have shown that birdwatching is great for mental health. Giving the birds a place to bathe and nest is a win-win!
We’re Here to Help!
There are plenty of things you can do on your own to enhance your yard and property value. But when it comes to the bigger things, Castle Point is the partner you need. We bring decades of experience to every project and do what it takes to exceed our clients’ expectations, as shown in our online reviews. We’d love to meet with you and discuss how you can get the most value and enjoyment out of your NJ yard while staying within your budget.
To schedule a free consultation for your NJ home, contact us online or call Castle Point Landscape Design at 908.512.2267 today.