When You Can’t Plant, You Can Plan!
Tips for Making the Most of Your Time This Winter
When temperatures drop and the days get shorter, we tend to enter hibernation mode. There’s nothing wrong with this. After all, who doesn’t love to unwind, sip on some hot cocoa and watch reruns of your favorite shows?
BUT if you think there’s nothing you can do for your landscape this time of year, think again! Yes, now is not the time to venture outside and add new winter plants to your landscape. The days are now too short and your plants won’t receive enough light. However, when you can’t plant, you can plan! Here are some tips for planning ahead for the spring season and fine-tuning your NJ landscape design while you have some extra time.
- Visit local nurseries that are open all yearlong. This is where you plant the seeds to plant the seeds! Warm up the car and head to a local nursery that’s open year-round. Browse through their seed collection and start thinking about what you want to plant once the weather gets warmer. This is also a great way to ensure you’ll already have the seeds to plant what you really want to before spring arrives and supplies become more limited.
- Ask yourself: How did I feel about my yard last year? Hindsight is 20/20—so use it to your advantage! Think about what you liked and didn’t like about your landscape last season. Were you thinking you could use more outdoor lighting for those summer nights when guests are over? Or did you notice a lot of standing water on your property when it rained? Now is the time to think back to last spring and summer and make any necessary changes ahead of time.
- Introduce new hardscaping features. Achieving a picture-perfect landscape is all about balance. If you’ve already created a beautiful arrangement of plants, flowers and shrubbery, consider introducing a new hardscaping feature. Retaining walls, a pergola and an outdoor fire pit are some of the many ways you can take an already beautiful look and turn it into an experience that will impress and inspire guests.
- Have your soil tested. Want to know which plants will thrive in your yard? The best way to find out is by having your soil tested. The Rutgers Soil Testing Laboratory will test your soil and provide helpful insight for your future planting ventures.
- Think about your long-term goals. Are you looking for ways to attract animals or deter them? Are you trying to open up your yard and create more space or add more privacy? Winter is a great time to think about the future and put your goals down on paper. Ultimately, these goals are going to directly impact your landscaping and hardscaping decisions. If you’re looking for a professional opinion, we’re always here to provide a free, no-obligation consultation for your NJ yard.
Start Planning With Castle Point
We wish you all the best as we kick off 2023. As you start planning ahead for spring, we’re here to help guide you with anything and everything pertaining to your New Jersey landscape. Whether you’re thinking about NJ masonry design or lawn care and landscape design, we’re ready to make your vision a stunning reality this year.
To request a free estimate, contact us online or call Castle Point Landscape Design at 908.512.2267 today.