Concrete Pavers or Natural Stone: What’s the Right Choice?
Everything to Know Before Making Your Next Decision
Chocolate or vanilla? Cash or credit? Summer or winter? As human beings, we all have our own preferences and tastes. Just think about how different one landscape can look from the next. Landscapes are essentially blank canvases that allow us to express our taste and personal style.
One important stylistic choice is the material to use for your NJ patio or walkway. Two of the most popular choices are concrete pavers and natural stone. If you’re wondering which is the better choice, it really depends on your own preferences and long-term goals. However, keep in mind that we’re talking about walkways and patios. When it comes to driveways, we recommend concrete pavers since they provide a more even, level surface.
Now, we’re going to compare these two materials and explain when you might want to choose one over the other for your walkway or patio.
Choose Concrete Pavers If:
- You’re looking for a more affordable option. Natural stone is harvested from a quarry, whereas concrete pavers are manufactured. Concrete pavers are easier on your landscaping budget and can be customized to closely mimic the look of natural stone.
- You want more options with colors, shapes and patterns. Natural stone isn’t formed, which means its look is less flexible. If you care about color and shape continuity for your driveway, walkway or patio, concrete pavers are the way to go. Concrete allows you to be far more creative with the overall design.
- You prefer a more modern look. Since concrete pavers are manufactured, you can choose colors and patterns that aren’t found in nature. This is ideal if you prefer a more modern look for your home.
- You care about comfort and safety as much as aesthetic. Concrete pavers are interlocked and create a more level, even surface than natural stone. Another point to keep in mind: When it gets wet, natural stone is more slippery than concrete. This is something to consider if you have a pool or hot tub, or are planning to have one in the future.
Stick With Natural Stone If:
- You want a more earthy, innate look. Natural stone is the sole creation of Mother Nature. If you want the real deal without any modifications, then stone is probably the right fit for you.
- You want a truly distinct, one-of-a-kind patio or walkway. No two stones are ever exactly the same, which means no two patios or walkways made of stone are ever exactly the same. Natural stone will always offer a more distinct look for that personal, charming touch.
- You want the longer-lasting, more durable option. While both materials can last for decades with proper maintenance, stone has a longer lifespan than concrete pavers. Stone pavers are also more durable than their concrete counterparts. If something drops on concrete pavers and chips the surface, the material beneath the surface will show and detract from the pristine appearance of your walkway or patio.
Still Not Sure? Let’s Talk About It!
There really isn’t a right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing between natural stone or concrete pavers. Ultimately, it’s going to depend on what you care about most. If you want to create a refined pattern with every color, style and shape at your full disposal, then you’ll want to go with concrete pavers. If you want a more natural, perfectly imperfect-type of look, then natural stone is the way to go.
Through the years, we’ve helped thousands of homeowners navigate these types of decisions. If you’re looking for more insight into which type of material is right for the walkway or patio you have in mind, we’d be happy to tour your property and discuss your vision. Our landscape design experts make recommendations that align with your budget and will match the existing features and style of your home. To request your free, no-obligation consultation, please contact us online or call Castle Point Landscape Design at 908.512.2267.